11.06.2008

Uh-oh

I think I have a problem on my hands.

I arrived in Jamestown, North Dakota, this afternoon. The publisher met me at the airport and took me straight to the Jamestown Sun offices where I got the standard building tour and drive-by staff intros. They gave me some copies of the newspaper and ushered me to my motel until dinner (they say "supper"). I was very impressed with the site visit, though it was brief. I also sensed a very high standard of professionalism here (which - now in retrospect - was lacking at the Desert Dispatch). So far, this seems like a pretty good place.

And that's a problem.

I was actually banking on it not being great. Or at least not better than the Desert Dispatch. Because that way, I would have seen enough to have soundly made up my mind by Thursday night that I wasn't missing out on anything here. Then, I could call the editor in Barstow on Friday and tell him to expect me in two weeks. And then I would not be in this very problematic position of an offer that very well may expire if I don't answer in two days while I'm just barely starting to seriously interview with the editor in Jamestown, who may or may not offer me anything in the next week or so.

Basically, I'm (very inconveniently) growing attached to something I had no intention of liking, and was only suppose to serve as reaffirmation to take the California offer.

Problem-o.

In the worst case scenario, I'd turn down California, wait on ND, not get an offer from ND, and then just move in with my brother. Which, like I said before, isn't the end of the world. But, ugh, the thought is just gut wrenching. I'd like to see some fruit from my now four month running job search.

My first in-person interview with the Jamestown Sun is tomorrow. It should be fine. Fun, even. It's the weighing and wondering what'll happen afterwards that'll be more difficult to navigate.

3 comments:

heej said...

that is a very difficult situation.. =/ will you be calling the CA one after you arrive here or would you call them before you leave ND?

enoch said...

that is uh oh... why is ND so darn attractive?!?!

Eunice said...

@ heej: Well now that my flight got cancelled and I'm leaving ND later, I'll have to call CA while I'm here. Which I'm not looking forward to doing...at all. I still don't know what to say.

@ enoch: ND has a certain charm. The people here so far seem very sincere. The newspaper and staff here both are solid. Why...why???! Not liking it would have been so much easier!